About the Grant
The funding initiative aims at the development and sustainable reinforcement of research in Sub-Saharan Africa and is open to all disciplines. A primary objective is to provide junior researchers in Africa with an opportunity to enhance their skills and academic qualifications and to open up future prospects in their home countries. Besides supporting African-German research cooperation, a special focus has always been on the development, reinforcement, and extension of academic networks within and beyond the African continent.
Funding can be made available for symposia, workshops (usually up to 50 participants) and summer schools (max. 60 participants). The initiative is thematically open and not confined to any particular subject area. The basic criteria are:
- developed in cooperation between German and African scholars
- participants from African and non-African countries (incl. Germany)
- active participation of young researchers (doctoral candidates and postdoctoral researchers)
Applications can be filed at any time but at least eight months prior to the event date. In a first step, applicants are requested to send a draft proposal and discuss the proposed event’s general suitability for funding with the program manager.
Costs covered may include the following items:
- Expenses for catering and accommodation; rental of premises.
- Travel expenses for participants and speakers.
- Funds for preparing and running the event, including the costs for the compilation of working materials and their publication on the internet.
No funds can be provided for the following items:
- Flat-rate amount to cover general organizational expenses.
- Cost of honoraria and similar items.
- Expenses for accompanying persons or family members.
- Any supplementary programs or entertainment expenses for accompanying persons.
- Costs for participants from industry
Grant Size: Based on proposal
Deadline: December 20, 2021